Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Dothan
If you purchased your first home or you’re nearing the closing date, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and yours. You’re likely pondering the many ways you should customize your residence with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too far, make certain you examine home security too. Keeping the ones you care about shielded from harm should always be a leading priority, and we’ll show you how with these safety tips for new homeowners in Dothan.
Conduct a safety audit of your new Dothan property
Now that safety is front and center, see what your new home has in place. First, ensure you have working smoke detectors. Test every one and switch out batteries if needed. Are CO detectors on site? Do you need a water sensor in the cellar? This is also an excellent time to update door locks and inspect all locking mechanisms on windows. Go through each room and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Dothan home
Once you’ve completed your opening investigation of safety devices and locking systems, you should consider improving your property’s safety. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Dothan.
- Opt for a full-featured home security system. One of the best tools for new homeowners in Dothan is a home security system. Today’s wireless advancements let you keep tabs on your home even when you’re not there. You are able to review real-time video feeds, engage door locks, and even communicate with guests at your door right from your cell phone. You can personalize your defense with amazing security measures such as video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade exterior lights. Exterior lights with motion detectors are an effective way to deter potential intruders. You may even integrate them with video cameras. The activating of a motion sensor can instruct your video equipment to begin recording.
- Maintain your yard. Can you see all of your property from inside? Are there oversized trees and bushes obstructing your view? Eliminate possible spots to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will appreciate it too.
- Meet folks in your area. Talking about your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friendly with people close to you, there’s a greater probability they’ll advise you if they discern anything suspicious. You may also get involved in your community’s social media presence if one is established.
- Utilize home automation. If you install a modern smart home, you can make it appear like you’re home by turning on smart lighting at predetermined times. This is a nice feature when you’re away.